At first let me say that I'm not by any means professional writer so I will apologize before even you have read this :)
What is this all about? This about how to make some gold by farming certain things and maximizing it.
I made impromptu run in Silverwastes, because Lunar Year 2018 was ending and I wanted to get best loot our of those Divine Lucky Envelopes. After successful meta group of people started talking
and asking questions and raised interesting idea and asked me to write some good practices what to do loot bags/chests/boxes and so on. Any kind of container, which are opened to get random loot basically.
I will try to make good structure for this post. Headings works also as a link to Guild Wars 2 Wiki.
1. Lunar Year
5. PoF Unidentified containers
6. Other loot containers
1. Lunar Year
- Divine Lucky Envelope
- You can buy 16 envelopes daily 1g each and also you can buy 3 envelopes from guild trader in guild hall. Those envelopes costs 1 guild commendation each.
- You can earn tokens from Dragon Ball arena and buy envelopes with token and gold.
- Little Lucky Envelope
- You get these doing Lunar Year adventure. First appearance on year 2018
- Through achievements
- Personalized Homemade Lucky Envelope
- You get these from Black Lion Chests. From example Lunar Year 2018 it was called The Evon Gnashblade Lucky Envelope
You do not want open any of the envelopes when you get them unless you want to do Lunar Year dailies. Best idea is to collect envelopes until Lunar Year is almost at end. After that you want to do Silverwastes meta run. Following table will allow you to get max amount of MF:
- 5 stacks of Perseverance (150% MF buff). You get 1 stack completing one Silverwastes event
- Vinewrath meta completion (50% MF buff)
- Food buff Chocolate Omnomberry Cream grants 40% MF when you have boon on you. Many classes have some skill, which gives you constant boon Recipe
- Utility buff. Lump of Crystallized Nougat/Flask of Pumpkin Oil/Sharpening Skull 30% MF
- Celebration boost 100% MF (Celebration booster and/or Birthday booster. These boosters won't stack amount of MF but will stack duration of buff)
- Black Lion Booster 100% MF
- Item Booster 50% MF (Item Booster or Heroic Booster. Same as celebration booster. Buff won't stack. Not sure if duration stacks)
- Guild Hall tavern buff 10% MF
- Guild Banner 15% MF (Heroic Banner or Magic Find Banner. Buff and duration won't stack)
- Lunar Year fireworks 10% MF (Duration 5 minutes per firework, max duration 2 hours)
- Community Bonfire 50% MF (Historic buff so most likely not available)
Having all reasonable buffs you can have extra 555% MF plus your personal account MF buff. This will enable you to get best profit out of those Lucky Envelopes.
- Trick or Treat Bags
- Magic find doesn't affect these bags.
- Labyrinth farm is most effective
In Trick or Treat Bags, there are some high priced items, but drop rate is quite low so best option is to farm bags and sell them in Black Lion Trading Company if you need gold.
Second option is to open them and hope for those high prices items. Opening bags you will get also tons of candy corn and you can exchange them into Candy Corn Cob (1000 candy corn).
If you don't want to buy stuff with Candy Corn Cobs, you can sell them. You can get 20 slot bags with Candy Corn Cobs (3 Cobs per bag).
- Wintersday Gifts
- Magic find doesn't affect these bags.
- You can get Wintersday gifts by doing Wintersday activities. Jumping Puzzle, Bell Choir, Snowball fight, Toycopalypse and so on.
- You can buy gifts with karma.
Like Trick or Treat Bags, there are some high priced items in them, but drop rate isn't good at all. However you get other things from those gifts like Christmas drinks, tonics etc and you can sell those with nice price. Second option is to just sell gifts. In the long run most likely it doesn't matter will you sell the gifts or will you open them and sell the contents. You should get same amount of gold unless you get lucky with good drop.
- Loot boxes
- You get loot boxes from doing events, opening bandit chests, killing mobs etc. for example: Embroidered Coin Purse
- Bandit chests can be opened with Bandit Skeleton Keys, which you can buy with Bandit Crests
- Silverwastes Shovels
- You get shovels by doing events
Idea is to do events as many as you can and when Vinewrath meta is over, commanders usually do Bandit Chest Runs and kill some of the Champions. You just collect the loot and salvage all the items. After you have reached your goal or time limit or whatever, you just sell all the junk to merchant and green sigils/runes. All the materials, which you have gotten from salvaging, should be sold in BLTC. For Major Sigils or Runes, you can throw them in Mystic Forge and hope for Superior Rune/Sigil drop. Some of the Runes/Sigils are expensive and you can get nice profit out of them. Most of the Major Runes/Sigils are worth 3-4s so you can also just sell them. It is just quite tedious job to put every Sigil/Rune into trading post. Then you want to save all loot boxes in your bank and you want to open them with lvl 47-52 character. That way you will get T3-T4 materials out of the boxes and those are most expensive in BLTC. Doing this on Silverwastes can yield around 15-20g per hour.
To get most out of Silverwastes, you want to use Looking For Group tool and see if there are any squads running on the map. If in description is mentioned something along the line that this squad is RIBA squad etc, then you want to join that squad and hopefully map instance where the squad is, isn't full. RIBA comes from Red, Indigo, Blue and Amber which are the 4 camps in Silverwastes. These squads do rotating run Red->Indigo->Blue->Amber and when defense event is going on, squad usually stays in camp until there are something like 1-2 minutes left and after that squad moves to next camp etc. That way you ensure getting max amount of loot, because you finish events successfully. Other option is that you do constantly dolyak escorts.
5. Path of Fire Unidentified Gear
- Common Unidentified Gear (Blue)
- Unidentified Gear (Green)
- Rare Unidentified Gear (Yellow)
- You get these doing events, drops from mobs, other loot boxes, wvw/pvp reward tracks and so on.
Currently one of the best places to get these loot boxes is Domain of Istan and doing Sunspear Great Hall and Palawadan meta and opening all the loot chests. Best option is to collect these loot boxes and keep them in your bank
and when you are ready to open these boxes, you should do Silverwastes meta to maximize your MF and use all the MF buffs and then open the loot boxes to maximize profit. These loot boxes always drop lvl 80 gear or atleast close to lvl 80 so there is no use to open these boxes low level toon.
CAUTION! When collecting these loot boxes, remember when you are salvaging other drops that you can also accidentally salvage these loot boxes as they are salvageable. Either put loot boxes in shared slots or have invisible bag so those loot boxes won't be salvaged.
6. Other Loot Containers
In Guild Wars 2 there are quite a lot different kind of loot boxes. Before opening any loot box, make sure that description doesn't mention anything about MF, because there are other types of boxes which are affected by MF and those you should save for Silverwastes run. Also some of the boxes gives gear close to character level so test opening loot boxes with your 47-52 lvl character to see if box gives that lvl gear. If it does, you should open all those boxes with that character. Only exception is that if box is affected by MF, then you want to save it for Silverwastes.
Fine Crafting Materials
Also if you have something unclear or just seeking knowledge and you would find this kind of guide usable. Leave in comments what knowledge you seek and I will take look at it.